The Friary

Built in 1851 by Thomas Ellis Owen as a ‘model lodging house’, The Friary, in Friary Close, off Marmion Road, is made up of 23 high quality flats over three separate blocks. There is also a shop on the ground floor of one block, occupied by Marilyn’s Florists.

The Friary was renovated in 2008, resulting in it winning the Best Restoration Award by Portsmouth Society in 2010.

Famous architect Thomas Ellis Owen designed the gothic-style building and is known to be probably the most eminent architect working in Southsea in the 19th Century, responsible for St Jude’s Church on Palmerston Road and distinguished buildings in Sussex Terrace, Sussex Road, Kent Road and surrounding streets.

JCL acquired The Friary in November 2018, it has become a perfect addition to our property portfolio.

Project Details

November 2018



JCL Group

Building Inspiring Spaces